As we prepare, one roll is to be prepared for any unfavorable circumstances that may happen within the family, particularly with the children. Remember, first aid and health care this are two of the most important responsibilities for your family.
There are unexpected incidents that may happen in your household every once in a while such as minor accidents and/or illnesses. These are inevitable situations, particularly if your children are very active which make them prone to minor accidents, and also because of sudden change of weather or viruses around us which make them sick.
Identify possible risk that may cause accidents
- Is your home a two story building that has one or more staircases?
- Do you have pets at home, like dogs or cats?
- Is your home near the road or highway or public transportation?
- Do you live in an area near water such as river, lake or sea?
Try to identify as many different risk factors as possible. This could help you create a better action plan in preventing these accidents and can help you create a better plan on how to respond when these risks result in accidents. If you can’t come up with an action plan on your own, try to ask your neighbors, friends, other family members, or relatives, and check some tips online. It’s good if you can gather as much information as possible so that you’ll have more options and you’ll be able to choose which one that will best suit you and your family.
First-aid supplies to keep on-hand
Aside from accidents, different types of illnesses may also attack you or your child. Before this happens, prepare your medical and first-aid supplies. Colds, fever, skin itching, skinned knees, bruises, and minor tummy pain are easily taken care of without bringing your little patient to the doctor or ER, so make sure you equip yourself with ample knowledge in dealing with these certain situations.
Here are some of the helpful supplies for your first-aid kit:
- Bandages and gauze pads
- Cotton balls
- Instant cold and hot packs
- Medical tape
- Rubbing alcohol
- Saline drops and bulb syringe
- First-aid manual
Typical Over the Counter Medications (Many of which have Essential Oil Replacements):
- Acetaminophen – pain reliever and a fever reducer
- Anti-fungal creams – used to treat fungal infections of the skin, scalp and nails
- Antihistamines – used to treat allergy symptoms such as congestion, runny nose, sneezing, or itching
- Aspirin – pain reliever
- Cough Medicine
- Electrolyte solution – for dehydration
- Eye drops – for itchy eyes
- Ibuprofen or naproxen sodium – great painkillers for adults and older kids
- Vicks vapor rub – good for adult and toddler’s colds
- Gas Relief drops for infants – to alleviate baby’s pain from bloating
Note: Be sure you consult a doctor before using most over the counter medications.
Essential Oils are gaining ground as an alternative to using the over-the-counter medication approach to many of the unexpected events in life requiring first aid. A good quality essential oil will have instructions and education for you to use it to for the best results. But because they are direct food or plant derivatives with no synthetic alterations the FDA often will not substantiate their claims. However, many people use Essential oils very successfully to address a magnitude of first aid needs instead of over-the -counter or prescription medications.
For someone wishing to ‘make over’ their medicine cabinet for to a healthier approach with less concern for side-affects, we would like to also offer a few natural options such as the ones listed below. Each of these Essential Oils and Blends can be found in the doTERRA Family Physician® Kit – HERE
ON GUARD® Natural Defense (*Natural Replacement for Disinfectant Spray and more)
- Diffuse in a room to cleanse the air
- Dilute in spray bottle to clean doorknobs, telephones, and other community surfaces
- Take internally to support the body’s natural antioxidant defenses*
- Take several drops in an empty vegetable capsule for added immune support*
DIGESTZEN® Digestive Support (*Natural Replacement for GasX, Pepto-Bismol and more)
- When traveling or trying new foods, take DigestZen to soothe occasional stomach discomfort*
- Take internally to reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion*
- Add to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract*
BREATHE™ Respiratory Support (*Natural Replacement for Vapor Rubs and more)
- Apply topically to maintain feelings of clear airways and easy breathing
- Diffuse or add to humidifier at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep
- Apply to chest or bottom of feet
DEEP BLUE® Muscle and Joint Support (*Natural Replacement for BenGay or Icey-Hot and more)
- Apply on feet and knees before and after exercise
- Rub on lower back muscles after a day of heavy lifting
FRANKINCENSE (*Natural Cellular Support )
- Apply topically to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections
- Use internally to support healthy cellular function*
- Apply to the bottom of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation
- When in doubt, use Frankincense!
OREGANO (*Natural Immune Support )
- Take 1–2 drops in an empty vegetable capsule to maintain a healthy immune system*
- Add to your favorite Italian dishes for flavoring and to support healthy digestion*
- Use internally to support healthy respiratory function*
MELALEUCA (*Natural Anti-fungal & First Aid for the Skin)
- Apply to skin for a cleansing and rejuvenating effect
- Add one to two drops to water to support healthy immune system function*
- Apply to feet and toenails after showering to purify and keep nails looking healthy
PEPPERMINT (*Natural Respiratory & Tension Relief)
- Take internally to promote digestive health*
- Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy
- Take internally to promote healthy respiratory function and clear breathing*
- Apply to neck and forehead with Lavender to relieve feelings of tension
LEMON (*Natural Cleansing & Purification)
- Add a drop to water to naturally cleanse the body and aid digestion*
- Diffuse in a room to neutralize odors and elevate mood
- Use to cleanse and purify the air and surfaces
- Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort*
LAVENDER (*Naturally Relaxing & Mood Boosting)
- Take internally to reduce anxious feelings*
- Apply topically to soothe occasional skin irritations & bug bites.
- Massage on back or bottom of feet and apply a drop to pillow at bedtime
- Take internally with water to promote relaxation and a restful night’s sleep*
These Essential Oils in the doTERRA Family Physician® Kit can be found HERE
ALWAYS make sure that you keep all medicines, essential oils and first-aid supplies on-hand but out of reach of small children. Every once in a while do an inventory on your medical supplies. Check dates, spills, etc., and replace items that are no longer usable. Try to familiarize yourself with the action plans that you have created so that it will be easier for you to handle any forms of accidents. You may also keep a hard copy of your action plans or if you have charts or other references, put them in a place where you can access them easily.
Usually in the family, these things are performed by Dr. Mom. However, try to educate each member on how to use medications or essential oils as well so that anyone can take over for you in order to handle certain emergencies when you are not around. Remember that in a family, it is much better if both you and your spouse know what to do when unfavorable circumstances arise.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Full Disclosure: The author of this post is a doTERRA Wellness Advisor and may receive compensation should you purchase products. She can also be reached for more information.
Donna Miller is a teacher, author, sought-after speaker, trainer and doTerra Wellness Advocate. She has been both a guest and host on internet and broadcast radio talk-shows and in television interviews. She enjoys teaching online and local classes & ladies retreats. Donna is happily married and has three adult children, with one daughter-in-law and one son-in-law. She and her husband (Joseph) are the founders Millers Grain House and YourPreparation Station among other leading entities in the current Preparedness movement.